Educators can tap into English learners' rich and diverse assets to improve family engagement and classroom performance. Confianza promotes evidence-based strategies for uncovering students' and families' "funds of knowledge" for culturally and linguistically responsive schooling.
Objectives of this professional learning (online course or blended on-site):
- Examine belief systems and research-based practices for serving culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Explore research-based strategies for tapping into ELL student and family “funds of knowledge” by completing an Individualized Language Plan
- Articulate and implement culturally responsive classroom practices, including assessing students’ acculturation and readiness to learn
- Ensure a positive classroom culture and climate for culturally and linguistically diverse students and families by completing a Family Engagement Plan
- Incorporate cross-cultural communication methods for a strong home-school connection
- Apply and share new strategies through fieldwork and an Action Plan for each participant’s classroom context